Counseling and Psychotherapy for Adult Individuals
For adult individuals seeking a supportive and confidential setting, Kathy offers a customized, client centered approach to addressing your concerns. Therapy starts where you are and addresses your current life situation in addition to your immediate concerns and symptoms. Starting where you are can help you gain insights, make changes and progress with your goals and enhance your personal growth. Short term, goal oriented therapy is available for those wishing to address current situations, life challenges, relationship concerns, life phase transitions, bereavements, support during difficult times, help facing loss and change. As well, we may address psychological symptoms such as excessive worry, loneliness, isolation, anxiety, depression, obsessive thinking, insomnia, nightmares, relationship concerns, midlife crisis issues, dysfunctional behaviours and other mental health concerns you might have.
Counselling for adult expat individuals can help you with adjustment. Issues such as learning to cope with new circumstances, cultural differences, language barriers, the many losses and challenges of the expat lifestyle can be addressed and worked through to help you feel more confident and better able to cope. This may include helping you address and manage symptoms such as those mentioned in the above paragraph. Kathy can help you process and cope with challenges that may include the loss of your previous work identity, increased pressures and responsibilities in a new position, loss of support systems, loss of purpose and meaning for the stay at home partner who may have given up job or career to accompany their partner. Any experiences and feelings that negatively impact you can be addressed. Don’t let any issue add to an already challenging time. Reach out for help and get the support you need to make your expat experience the best it can be.
Online Counseling and Psychological Consultation
Online video conferencing sessions are available. Distance does not have to limit your options for counseling. Kathy has been working successfully with clients online via video since 2005. There is growing research, which indicates that for many people, counseling online can be as beneficial as face to face therapy. For some, it can feel more confidential and secure than meeting face to face. However, video conferencing for psychological concerns is not appropriate for everyone. Please use the contact form to send an inquiry to set a time to speak with Kathy to determine if online video sessions might be an option for you.
There are many reasons why it is not always possible to meet face to face:
If you are living in a foreign country, finding a supportive Counsellor who speaks the same language as well as understands the challenges of the expat experience can be very beneficial. As a Therapist who has been an expat most of her adult life, Kathy understands.
- Online video sessions can fit into your schedule when you want and overcome time zone barriers. Regular and ongoing counselling can provide needed support to see you through difficulties and major life transitions. Isolation, loneliness, increased anxieties and depression can be especially difficult to deal with on your own in an unfamiliar country. When one partner is away at work, the stay at home partner may experience considerably more isolation and loneliness when in an unfamiliar country.
- Time zones and distances become bigger barriers to staying in touch with loved ones. Expats often find that those back home don’t understand. It can be hard for family and friends to understand what makes life as an expat challenging. It can be hard for a Therapist who has never been an expat to understand. Kathy understands. She understands the challenges and difficulties because she has lived as an expat for over 30 years. Kathy has lived and worked in many different countries. In her work as a Counselor, Therapist and volunteer, she has helped many expats. Contact Kathy to discuss your situation and see if Counseling and Therapy online at Psyche Services might be right for you.
- Counseling and Therapy online via video conferencing can be an ideal supplement to face to face sessions for many people. For instance, if you return to your home country for holidays, travel for business or are in the process of transitioning to a new location, staying in contact with your therapist can be beneficial. Counseling online can be a welcomed support during challenging times when you need it most.
- Therapy online can work very well for: the frequent business traveler who wishes to maintain regular, ongoing sessions; for those who prefer not to leave home for whatever reason. Working online via video can be a good alternative. When one is simply too busy to make it to the Therapist’s office, Counseling and Therapy on-line can also be a consideration.
If you are interested to learn if Counselling and Therapy online with Kathy might be an option for you, make contact to discuss your situation. Please contact Kathy if you would like more information.
*Counseling and Therapy consultation online via video conferencing is not appropriate for everyone
*PsycheServices and Expat Counselling is not a crisis intervention service. All services (online and face to face) are by appointment only. If you are in need of immediate assistance please go to your nearest Emergency Center or call your local Emergency hotline.
Psychoanalysis (or Jungian Analysis) is a Depth Psychological, introspective approach to your symptoms and your current concerns. It may also address unresolved concerns from your past. It is a dialectic process that enhances self understanding, personal growth and assists you in living life authentically. You will be guided in this work by your inner world, dreamwork, tending to psychological suffering and physical symptoms. Understanding your past, current life situations, synchronicities and past events can help you see unconscious complexes and archetypal patterns. You will be supported in an indivudal process of personality growth unique to you.
Jungian Analysis (Psychoanalysis) enhances a lifelong process that Jung termed Individuation. Jungian Analysis can speed up this process. Over a time of introspection and self reflection, which addresses unconscious conflicts, issues from your personal history and symptoms both psychological and physical, you can experience diminishing psychological suffering. This process can lead to greater self awareness, reduction of psychological symptoms, personal growth and a sense of living your life more authentically.
Ideally, Psychoanalysis is done face to face with a Therapist in a physical office space. However, because life isn’t perfect and may take us to live in distant corners of the world, meeting with your Therapist via online video may be your best option. It works for many people. Kathy has been working online assisting individuals with psychological growth since 2005. She has many years of experience with online counselling.
Those called to take a deeper dive into the inner world of their individual Psyche are often the same individuals who find their way into the adventurous life of living in distant locations as an expat. For expats, it is simply not always possible to be in the same location as your Therapist. Kathy makes it possible to take a Depth Psychological approach to your psychological well being and life concerns via online video conferencing. She has been helping individuals build relationship with their inner psyche via online video conferencing since 2005. Many of her clients find the computer screen and privacy of their own home a preferred method for the very personal in-depth psychological process of Jungian Analysis. However, this method of working together may not be right for you. Contact Kathy to discuss your individual needs and situation in this regard.
Types of Therapies available
Shorter term, goal oriented therapies include:
- CBT (cognitive behavior therapy)
- Adjustment counseling
- Bereavement and loss support
- Mindfulness and relaxation technique training
- Insight and psychodynamic oriented Psychotherapy
Longer term, process oriented therapies include:
- Traditional Jungian Analysis
- Depth Psychological approach to the unconscious
- Psychoanalysis (Jungian)
- Individuation Process oriented work
- Dream Interpretation and Active Imagination
Symptoms you may be experiencing:
- sadness, melancholy
- anxiety, panic attacks, excessive worry
- loneliness, isolation
- bereavement and loss
- feeling overwhelmed
- nightmares, sleeplessness or sleeping too much
- internal conflict, struggling within yourself
- relationship difficulties and changes
- work difficulties and changes
- midlife crisis related issues
- desire to understand yourself better
- dysfunctional behaviours that worry you
Take the next step…
Contact Kathy via the email form on this website contact page for more information and to see if Psyche Services may be appropriate for you. Kathy is available by appointment only. If her schedule is full you may ask that she add you to her waitlist if this is appropriate for you.
If you are in need immediate assistance, please don’t wait. Go now to your local Emergency Center or call your local Emergency/Help hotline now.